The truth about Clay Bars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The truth about Clay Bars

Post  Flash man on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:38 am

Using a clay bar is like compounding your car each time. A clay bar is a lot easier to use, but can be very aggressive and wears down the clear coat if use excessively. If you keep your car waxed regularly, then you should not need to use a clay bar all the time. Unless you have paint over spray, surface contaminates etc. A good cleaner wax or a one step product, should be sufficient enough to remove any light surface contaminates. If you want paint protection, depth and shine? Then keep a lot of wax on your car and nothing should stick to the surface.

Joe Flash Man
Flash man
Admin

View user profile http://flashautodetail.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: The truth about Clay Bars

Post  DiamondD on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am

i do like to clay the car atleast once a month are you saying this is a bad thing?

DiamondD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flash man on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 am

Hi,

Claying your car is like using rubbing compound on it. The more you compound/clay. The more wear on your clear coat. There is no need to clay your car if you regularly wax it. Or if you are in a city where your car is constantly exposed to industrial fallout or paint overspray. My opinion is to keep a good coat of wax on your car and you wont have to clay it regularly. I recommend using an easy to use wax like Malco Flash Liquid Paste wax, Dark cars, Malco Polishing creme. These waxes are very different than what is available at your local auto parts stores. These products are Professional quality, easy on and off and provide outstanding results with one application. We carry these products on our website at www.flashwax.com.

Joe Flash man
Flash man
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DiamondD on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 am

i wax alot but still clay once a month an you notice the difference right off the bat. i have been doing this for years an never seen any problems with claying. never heard of over claying in my life an i have been doing this for almost 21yrs.

DiamondD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Flash man is right. I wouldn't recommend using a clay bar on your car more frequently than every 6 months.

Eric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DiamondD on Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:42 pm

clay removes contaminants there is not abrasive material in clay like a compound an this will not harm your clear coat. sorry but i disagree on this one as i work on 100,000.00 cars an up an in my 21yrs have never heard or had a problem with clay it is one of the best inventions out there. hence the reason they use it for rail dust ,over spray, acid rain contamination etc.

DiamondD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

DiamondD wrote:clay removes contaminants there is not abrasive material in clay like a compound an this will not harm your clear coat. sorry but i disagree on this one as i work on 100,000.00 cars an up an in my 21yrs have never heard or had a problem with clay it is one of the best inventions out there. hence the reason they use it for rail dust ,over spray, acid rain contamination etc.

Well they are slightly abrasive (some more so than others) otherwise they wouldn't be able to get the contaminants out of the clear coat. Don't get me wrong, it's not like you're going to wear down the clearcoat over the course of just a couple years, but if you're keeping the car long term it is something you'll want to account for.

How often do you clay bar your cars?

Eric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DiamondD on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:57 pm

I clay once a month an never had a problem an kevin from kleen car is a good friend an we works with paint companies an bmw an does tons of write ups an says same thing about clays.

DiamondD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Flash man on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Hello Diamond,

Clay bars have different grades of aggressiveness. Light cut and heavy cut. A heavy duty compound will be more aggressive than a clay bar. A major factor will be the mils of clear coat that is on your vehicle. I knew a guy with an older vehicle that came by my shop one day. He used a heavy cut clay on his car about once a month for over a year. Why he did that, and not just kept his car waxed is beyond me. The clear was worn down on different areas of his finish. Very thin in some areas. We came to the conclusion that the clay bar was the cause of the damage. A heavy cut clay bar if used excessively is not good for your vehicles finish. It will remove oxidation, scratches and surface contaminates faster than a heavy duty compound. Its made to clean like a compound and it will remove coats of wax.

To each is own. I clay my car once in a while if needed. But, I keep a heavy coat of Flash wax on it, and regularly wipe it down with Grape Gloss spray wax. I rarely ever get surface contaminates on my finish. If you clay your car, you are going to have to wax it right after claying. Two step process. If you keep your car waxed regularly, you only have to go over the car once.

Joe Flash man
Flash man
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DiamondD on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:50 am

Yes there are many types of clay but only one in the usa cause of the patent an those clays are crap unfortunately. but again you only use an aggressive clay when need be not all the time. a regular clay is going to remove the contaminates etc. not fix the problems hence compounds an polishes which is what they do. an yes to each their own i have been clay baring the car for years every month an have yet to have one problem an i have a posi test ptg meter an monitor the clear coat an yes i always put wax or sealant. i can't wait to get your products an try them out thanks.

DiamondD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top